Friday, February 16, 2018

Movie Class

Back in 2010, I started taking a cinematic history course at Nassau Community College with a guy named Keith teaching the course. He had several courses -- horror, Spaghetti Westerns, comedy. My favorite was the horror class; I took it several times.

Somewhere along the road Keith got the idea to have an invitation-only class at his house, which would be more advanced and in-depth. It started in 2013, and has been the longest-running class I've ever been in.

I remember the first week, Keith showed us Tod Browning's 1932 classic, Freaks. The second week was King Dinosaur. But after that, I don't remember the exact order of the films he showed after that. For the first two years everything was 16-millimeter, but then we changed to DVDs. The class has been more exciting ever since.

Each session lasts a month -- four classes in a session, one class a week, with each session having a different theme. Some I like better than others. It seems like half of the sessions in a given year are set in stone -- meaning there are certain themes we hit each year. There's Hammer month, Giallo month, Poe month. Spaghetti Western month. and Bring Your Own Movie month (in which each student brings his own movie to show and discuss). For other sessions, Keith improvises, picking themes that he may not get back to. This year, for the first time there will be a crimmi month. And when Christopher Lee died we had a tribute month for him.

Some of my favorite films that he's shown have been:

  • Island of Lost Souls
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • The Flesh and the Fiends
  • Don't Torture a Duckling
  • Vincent Price's Masque of the Red Death
  • The Witchfinder General
  • The Mercenary
  • Vincent Price's Fall of the House of Usher
  • King Kong
Of course, anything from Hammer Films is a favorite, too.

There are also some movies that I simply would never have seen anywhere else, such as The Beast of Budapest.

For this year, I'm looking forward to seeing a month of crimmis, and whatever surprises Keith has in store.




6 comments:

  1. Hey Ethan, Thanks so much for this great review of our class, I love to read this because it gives me really constructive feedback on how the class is going. I'm really delighted you enjoy it as much as you do. You have my word that I'll do my best to keep this class going as good as it has been going! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethan:

    I’m really glad to see you have a Blog!

    I’ve been Blogging since 2008 – this August is the 10th anniversary – and I’ve enjoyed every moment of it! I wish a similar experience for you!

    The most important piece of advice I have to offer would be to “Keep Your Blog Fresh!” No one continues to visit a Blog that is rarely, or never, updated!

    I know you, and I know you have lots to share! Find a way to do it here, and do it regularly. You’ll be satisfied, and so will your audience.

    Also, further engage your readers by responding to their comments, as I do! Knowing you’ll drop a response keeps them coming back, and keeps them interested and involved. Of that, you can be certain.

    Best of luck and great success with your Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to blog regularly, and to respond to all comments. But I can;t make any promises.

      Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
    2. Well, you're off to a good start! And YES... No more "El Topo!"

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete